Monday 6 June 2011

Science Sucks at this School

I couldn't believe my ears.  I had just walked through the halls of an Alberta K-12 school and overheard some teenage girls speaking of their science classes.  What happens to kids to make them despise their science classes? Children are born scientists, constantly playing with their environments.  They experiment, manipulate variables, measure, record and analyze during their formative years before schooling begins.  I have witnessed my own children excited about their science classes in Grades one and two and by the time Grade three comes along the happiness starts to fade. And unfortunately too often junior and senior high school science hammers the last nail in the science coffin and students decide that science is too hard or just not for them.  The passion of exploration is gone, curiosity stifled and authentic lab time almost gone. 

My hope for this blog is to explore methods and best practices in science teaching across all grades and all sciences in an effort to engage students fully in science.

No comments:

Post a Comment